Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I thought elevator protocol was fairly well defined by now but apparently not.


Scenario: I’m waiting at the elevator bank at a dealership waiting to go to the second floor where the service area is located when a second guy walks up to the elevator and the two people exchange cordial pleasantries as we walk into the elevator.

As the doors close, I notice a guy walking towards my elevator and I did what any courteous person would; I held open the door so he could get on. Now this is a small courtesy which I don't expect to be receive a medal for but I do believe it's the kind of small-act of courtesy which defines us as civilized humans and should be acknowledged with a polite 'thank you.". Well yesterday this 4-series driving douchbag thought nothing of civility because he didn't even acknowledge the act as he waltzed into the elevator without so much as a 'thanks'.

There I am halting my activity to help a fellow man AND risking life-and-limb by thrusting my hand in front of the automatic doors and I am not even afforded a 'thanks'.

Well this isn't the worst part, the worst part happened a few seconds later when we arrived at the 2nd floor where the service department is located as the doors open you walk directly into the service department. Guy #2 lets me out first knowing that I was the first at the elevator but the other guy the ‘I won’t even say thanks for holding the elevator for you” inconsiderate ahole walks right up-to the service desk like he owns the place. Now there are no other floors which this elevator services as it travels between the show-room and the service department, anybody who is waiting for the elevator is going to the service department.

Now I think you know where I’m going what bothers me is that I was clearly on the elevator first and I had waited while the elevator was called. Two people clearly understood the protocol while a third guy took out his BMW driving 3 inch winkie and pissed all over the concept of civility by cutting the line without so much as a hand wave.

I hope he slams on the brakes hard the next time he’s getting road-head and the horse delivering clamps down like a pit-bull

No comments: