Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No Thank You

I’m a pretty nice guy; I try to always make it out for people’s house-warming parties, birthday parties and after-hour work outings. I’m not nearly as thorough as I was pre-fatherhood but I still do my best. For years I considered myself the glue to help keep my high-school buddies together well into our thirties and for years I’ve tried to set outings to do various things but after all of the work to keep things together I’ve decided that like everybody else I’m going to have to reprioritize.

One of the reason’s I’m reprioritizing is because people don’t appreciate the amount of time and energy it takes to make it out to various events which is a TOR bitch which will be published in 10 days so this is your warning!!!!!

Now there are other complaints I have with people who make efforts but seem to leave out some small details which irk me more than anything in the world. There is nothing worse than the Thank You note addressed only to your significant other when you trekked all the way out to the same event, crying baby in tow. This is my rule, if I show up to your party and you are going to send my wife a card, put my name on it or next time I’ll drop an upper-decker in your upstairs bathroom.

If my wife and I give you plates for a birthday gift, thank both of us, if we drop a check in the box at your wedding send us both a thank you and if we buy you a vase for a housewarming gift I’d rather you crack me over the head with it than not acknowledge my existence.

Hey, I don’t need flowers, don’t want a pat on the back and I don’t need anybody to feel sorry for me but what would like the same thank you especially when the gift was clearly paid for by two, the effort to make it out was also two-folds and I even put on a clean shirt.

Bah Humbug

1 comment:

Philip Ryan said...

First paragraph is like metropolitan diary - self serving and with no real relevance to the rest of the post