Sunday, March 7, 2010

3G

So for a year AT&T and Verizon Wireless have battled over Mobile Supremacy. AT&T has always had the clear advantage with their phones and Verizon offers the far superior service but both seem to be stuck on the details of their vaunted 3G coverage.
Never before have two companies fought over such a crap piece of real-estate because as anybody who has some kind of internet enabled phone knows the 3G service is akin to an American Online dialup connection.. It remember when I got my first 3G phone and being amazed with how quickly I was surfing the web while now I can't even look up a street address without wanting to pull out my hair. Mobile surfing during peak-times has basically become unusable

But this isn't one of those cases where I am just not content with the same service, it has gotten much worse.

There have been many articles written about how the explosion of internet capable devices has completely overwhelmed the bandwidth with more people going online, streaming videos and using social-networking sites from their phones. Now I am a huge proponent of the Smartphone but considering I am paying the same $40 per month for 'unlimited internet" as I was two years ago, I am getting a whole lot less bang for my buck. At least the IPhone allows you to browse wirelessly

The cell phone companies need to get ahead of the curve and just forget about 4G or even 5G because that will be good for about a week and move right to like 10G. Right now at this pace the over-the-air internet technology isn't able to keep up with the demand and with less competition because of all the consolidation in mobile-services there isn't any real incentive to keep ahead of the curve. Wait till the IPad comes out to see those aholes suck up the last bit of 3G left like a bunch of warlords in Afghanistan suck up any available water as they jam the entire system when they start playing World of Warcraft or Everquest on their morning commutes. There won't be enough bandwidth left to send a text-message.
It's time to start charging for usage like we do for electricity or heat or food or prostitutes.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: