Wednesday, March 31, 2010

TV LAND

I have read that on average Americans watch about 24 hours of TV per week, that means that the average American spends one full day out of every week is front of the boob-tube.




The crazy thing is that I have friends who reach that weekly milestone on a lazy weekend and I know we have moved away from a lifestyle where people talk and I have nothing against TV per-se but I wonder how people have the time to watch that much television. I am by no means the busiest person I know but between work, going to the gym, putzing around the internet, spending a few hours with my family and sleeping, I just don't have the time to spend 3+ hours in front of the tube every night. I get that in the age of a thousand channels the options are almost limitless but when I do find time to turn on the TV I have a hard time finding anything to watch on an average night. I get that 24 is supposed to be great and Parenthood is the next Family Ties but I just can't get into any of it. Maybe I've just become cynical but there has to be more to life than watching Simon and Ellen arguing how (un)talented some girl from Utah is.


I get emails from TV loving buddies who have an opinion on virtually every show in primetime on both cable and network TV and can give you a recap on 50% of their most recent episodes. They all claim that the DVR has made their TV addictions so much more efficient but even if you cut our commercials they are still watching 2 or 3 hours every night.

I won't tell you how to live your life but it probably wouldn't kill you to get some fresh air because nobody should be stuck in a dungeon for that many hours per week.



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

Sneha said...

which one is better, having the time to surf x-rated sites or watching something that makes you think, like "Damages" or just 23 minutes of laughter with "Modern Family" to keep you sane? people unwind in different ways, abundance of TV is not a great thing, I do agree, but some TV is worth it to relax.

The Bump said...

using your pedestrian blog to hurl thinly veiled insults at people you supposedly consider friends is fucking chicken-shit. get a fucking backbone