Saturday, June 20, 2009

The white curse

There are many things that I will miss out on in this lifetime, things I will not do or will not try. These things can scar a person or make them stronger, make them love harder or hate deeper. The reason's why we miss out are varied, but they are just as often are based on upbringing, religion or personal history as they are on time or place. I can't speak for others but I too think I have missed out on a few things because of my race, color or creed and I am not just talking about feeling inadequate when walking through the men's locker room.
Being a white guy means there are entire ranges of the color palette you will never get to wear. I am standing on the subway yesterday and see a dude wearing baby blue pair of velour pants, a baby blue shirt and a matching baby blue cap and I realize that unless you are a 5 year old boy, a white guy could never rock those colors. Since I don't work at the Sports Authority I can't wear khakis to work, so I am completely limited to grey or black workpants.. Other than that I can go with a numbers of shades of blue jeans on the weekends. For shirts the white guy is limited to soft blues, whites and grays or any collection of earth tones.

So don't give me any equal rights stuff, until I am allowed to wear velour sweat pants and a matching color Yankee hat I will not rest.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Cathy said...

that's funny that you are talking about this cuz tonight i was just telling my husband that when i was shopping in the mens dept yesterday there were a bunch of pastel lacoste polos and weird striped colors too and some of them looked weird but then this muscular black man started trying them on in the middle of the floor and they all looked really good on him. i just watched the dark knight. i didn't understand what was going on sometimes so i had to pause it a few times to ask questions. christian bale is very handsome. i usually am not into actors cuz they are really flaming in real life but christian bale is too handsome. i was looking at movies just now on channel 1000 movies on demand and i was considering watching "downloading nancy" but then i just googled it and people keep saying it's gross so now i don't know. i also am thinking of ordering one of these indie films about muslim/jewish secret lovers. what's good? i don't know what to watch.