Thursday, June 25, 2009

Citi Field

Made it out to CITI Field yesterday and I had an experience which was somewhat similar to my first take of Yankee stadium except the beers were a bit cheaper and the fans a bit more Long Island. My first impression was that CITI was that the 16 ounce Miller Lites were ‘only’ $1 more expensive than the 12 ounce Heinekens and that the stadium has an intimate Wrigley Field feel to it. As I found my seat with a steak taco in hand I realized that I would have a hard time telling David Wright from Orville Wright. As the third inning approached and I was chowing down on the Steak Taco and washing it down with the Brooklyn Brewery’s version of a Dos Equis it dawned on me that I might actually have been closer to the field when I flew into LaGuardia 12 hours earlier from Cleveland.
By the fourth inning as I was starting into a Blazing burger noticed that the seagulls were actually flying below our sight-lines. I wondered how many people were standing on line at the Shake Shack stand as I polished off a second Miller Lite sometime in the fifth inning. As the game hit the 6th inning and I was putting down a Nathan’s dog with Joey Chestnut speed, I wondered if I was sitting at a little league stadium because for all I knew the left field fence was only about 185 yards from home-plate and any ball hit to left field meant I had to wait for the crowd reaction to see if it dunked in for a single.


Come the 7th inning as I’m snacking on a bag of peanuts between gulps of Bud Lite I wondered if you would die from shock before you hit the field if you happened to fall off the upper deck from where I was sitting. As I walked out contemplating a second hot-dog and burping up my third Miller Lite it occurred to me that somehow I had seen about 4000 calories but hadn’t noticed a single second of the action.

All in all the stadium is nice, it’s a little Brooklyn Dodgers-esque for me but it does serve as a nice museum for national league baseball in NY but really why didn’t the Mets make this a celebration of their history. Show me Doc Gooden, Tom Terrific, Lenny Dykstra and Tug McGraw pictures, show me highlights of Mike Piazza and Darryl. Everything was Jackie Robinson who was a great American but was never a Met.



Final Score

Mets 11

Cardinals 0

Total Calories: 4000+

Righetti at the start of the game 189lbs

Righetti at the end of the 7th inning 196lbs

Righetti wallet: $64 lighter

No comments: