Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I might be done with twitter

I read this interesting stat about twitter the other day, about how a large percentage of people who sign up for twitter have abandoned the service within weeks. This doesn't surprise me as generally it sucks. I have an account (as you can see by the handy application on TOR which posts my terrible tweets).

My issue is that I honestly don't care to ever check it to see what other people are tweeting. I think I've logged onto twitter twice since I signed up for the account. All my own updates are done by sending a text from my blackberry.


This might be the kind of phenomenon which will never take off for 'regular' people and the only interest may very well be for idol worship. I read about celebrities tweeting and I can see the appeal as they have a broad audience of people (13 year old girls I imagine) who would like to be intimately involved in their day to day thoughts but following a friend is more creepy than cool and definitely way more boring than cool.



These are the downfalls of twitter

Content- The issue is that the average person's thoughts are just not that interesting

People generally don't care if their friend just had a sandwich. The content depends on people to be witty, which they generally aren't. especially if they are limited to 140 characters



Access- although there are a few ways to reach your twitter account to post including text messages so this works swimingly. The issue is following people, you either set it up so that you get a text message everytime Joe finds a funny link to a cute bird which is annoying oryou have to actively log onto twitter.com and honestly who has the time or the care?



Hip Factor. Honestly if Wolf Blitzen has an account and actively posts, the hip factor is gone



Tie into Facebook- I understand there is a FB app which can be added to broadcast your tweets but facebook already has a superior system (which twitter probably ripped off) with their 'status updates' which is in such an easier and less invasive format.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

4 comments:

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

does that make you a twitter quitter? he he he.

Sneha said...

but what about all your tweeps?

Philip Ryan said...

I agree with you...but think it's great when used correctly. You can send a question out and have your followers, or friends or whatever, answer. Something like 'whens the best time to drive to beantown on a friday'

Cathy said...

yes i went on twitter about 4 times and then i got so bored & annoyed by it. even when i'm bored outta my mind, that's the last site i'll log into.