Sunday, June 29, 2014

Take on the shoot-out

There really is no worse way to end a major sporting event than a
penalty kick shootout. I get that the players are exhausted and there
is an argument against playing on forever but ending a World Cup game
in a shoot-out is like ending a ties World Series game by implementing
a home-run derby, and then one on a little league field. The
advantage is so much in favor of the kicker, it is ridiculous as the
guy has the opportunity to kick a ball into a net the size of my
garage from like 8 feet out. Yeah, you'll see the occasional
miraculous save and you'll see some world class athletes crumble under
the pressure but in any normal circumstance the striker has a 9-1
advantage at that distance.

They should at least push it back a few yards or have to get the guy
to approach the goal, dribbling from midfield. Or do it blindfolded
with a firing squad pointed right at him

2 comments:

Baby Stu said...

But...what if it's incredibly exciting?

Mr. R. Lee said...

I got to see the Costa Rica vs. Greece penalty shoot out in Recife on Sunday. It was AWESOME!!!

Also, I was rooting for Costa Rica. I always root for the non-European teams over the European teams.

Unless the non-Euro team is Japan. Then, I root for the European team.

I also rooted for the Netherlands over Mexico.

And I rooted for Portugal over Ghana, even though I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo.

And I rooted for the Netherlands over Australia.

And I rooted for France over Nigeria.

So I guess it is not a hard and fast rule.