Sunday, June 10, 2012

Taking on the morning rush

I have commuted into NYC by bus, subway, by foot and by car and honestly commuting is one of the craziest phenomenons.    Every day that I commute into the city on the subway, I feel like an absolute sardine.  There are literally days that I cannot get onto the train because it is so packed and even if I can manage to squeeze onto it, there are good chances my hands will be squeezed between two pillows

Take the exact same commute back home at 5 or 6pm and the trains are totally empty.  You are nowhere near anybody else and you usually get a seat.  
How can 10 million people commute into manhattan every day but only 5 million commute back?    I always figured it is that most people get to work at roughly the same time (8-9am) so catch trains at specific times but get out of work anywhere between 4 and 7pm and not everybody goes right home.   Seems to make sense right except this only OR maybe everybody commutes into NYC by subway from Queens or Brooklyn and then commutes into NJ or Long Island on the way home because places like Port Authority and Penn Station are much more miserably packed on the afternoons than in the mornings and that doesn't even include the bumper to bumper traffic you'll find any afternoon




Sent from my iPhone

No comments: