Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Take on Sushi Pricing

I am convinced that the only number more cooked than Facebook's 'active users' number is the price of sushi.    I cannot tell you how many times I've gone out for or ordered in sushi and when I've tried to figure out what the total price be and I'm off by $30 or $40, it's like walking into Target buying a box of diapers and a tshirt and getting handed a receipt for $110.
The weird thing is that if I go an order three burgers and fries at the Perfect Pint all of which are listed at $12, I can reasonably guess that including tax we get to about $40 but throw the same thing at Haru Sushi and a spicy tuna roll for $8, a sashimi deluxe for $22  and a sapporo for $6 plus tax and tip is $60..  I don't know if it's the dollar-to-yen conversion, the price of miso soup or the fact that the ahi tuna gets sold at market price but you try to guestimate a price in your head and you are just never close.  The real issue is taht because the Japanese are such nice and honest people you feel bad bringing something like this up and like when your SONY TV breaks you are more likely to blame yourself.

No comments: