Saturday, May 26, 2012

Take on the NHL TV coverage

Although I am far from a true hockey fan, I am a sports fan and appreciate the game especially come playoff time.   With that said I don't exactly go out of my way to watch it and mostly depending on seeing some highlights on Sportscenter and getting recaps from the Bump.   
Well last night was different, with no American Idol on TV, I had the remote to myself and when I scrolled over to espn.com I saw that the Devils and Rangers were in a 2-2 tie in game 6 of the conference championship with about 5 minutes to go. 
Now I know that Rangers games are usually on MSG so my instinct was to go there but saw quickly it was running old WWF highlights, I figured they didn't have playoff rights.   I went to NBC since I was pretty sure they were the broadcast partner but only caught an episode of How to Catch a Predator.  I used the guide to find the NHL network but I either don't get that channel or it was showing a making of the ice-skate special because that also wasn't where the game was either.   I go to ESPN, ESPN2,YES and still no hockey. Finally after going back on line I find out from espn.com that it is being broadcast on the old Versus now called NBCsprts.    How hard can that be to find?
pretty f'n hard.   I went through all 100 channels in the HD range and found nothing (although I did stop on Spike to catch some of Star Wars IV).   I scroll to the other NBC cable channels figuring they sandwich it between CNBC and MSNBC but find only some dude suggesting Mitt Romney should consider Bobby Jindal.     I scroll through the area where you find the 2nd tier sports channels figuring it might be between ESPNews and SNY but also find nothing.  
I honestly look around for 10 minutes and can't find it at all   I am forced to google it and am told by one of those google answers that I get NBCSprts lm channel 122    I go there but although shows NBCSprts on the guide is actually blacked out.   I figure maybe it's being broadcast on channel 9 or 11 like they do for NFL Network games for a home team but find no hockey there either.  I have gone to every conceivable spot to find it and it proves to be as elusive as Barry Melrose's clippers. 
Well finally I find it...on channel 481.   

For a point of reference this comes AFTER five separate Big 10 channels including three channel dedicated for Big 10 overflows because you know how much everybody in NYC cares about Purdue and Northwestern mens lacrosse  

How the hell does the NHL have any hope when game 6 of the conference playoffs is being televised in the black hole of the TV lineup shoehorned between ESPN Deportes and Buzzer Beaters



Sent from my iPhone

No comments: