Monday, May 28, 2012

Take on the FB departure

When a friend sent me a piece from the New Yorker
(http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/05/leaving-facebookistan.html?mbid=social_mobile_email)
about some dude leaving Facebook I thought it was a worthwhile read
hoping somebody could eloquently put into words the frustration that
many out there have. The article lays out the terms of the departure
because of a combination of the ever changing landscape of the
security of personal information and the notion that the average
investor in the IPO was duped. The funny thing is that I left FB a
year ago for none of the moral, ethical or financial reasonings. I
honestly could care less about anything other than user experience
which I have always thought was the true downfall. It's not that
seeing my cousin's kid isn't cute but hearing about her view of some
crappy Dutch movie isn't at all cute.
But even that is manageable with hiding posts, pairing down friends
and selective screening, what irks me is what it has allowed is to
come, that on a five hour drive, somebody can sit next to you and
spent the entire time conversing online, I hate what it has brought
our society where true human interaction gets put on hold although it
is literally sitting 2 feet away because there is a more immediate
gratification available a hundred miles away in the form of a status
update But even this I can live with, what REALLY sticks in my craw
is that you multi-task the conversation and not be able to understand
that there is something wrong with it. When every thought can be
spewed out in 140 characters or less and when having only one
conversations at once seems like you aren't even trying.

No comments: