Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Taking on Margaritas

I like a deal as much as the next guy, I buy my shirts at overstock.com, I rent an apartment on the border of Staten Island and when I am not taking my wife home, I'll always opt for the Subway over a cab.
I also believe in the Costco model of buying in bulk so I was disgusted when last night I was at dinner at a new NYC restaurant called Teqa which had the look, feel and recomendations of a top NYC restaruant.  I was pretty excited going in but when we ordered a pitcher of margarita I felt sick.   A pitcher of their standard margarita is $48 which in itself is ridiculous but even more so when we realized that it didn't even fill four glasses.  Now that feels like a rip-off but it really hit home when you realize that if you order them individually they charge you $11 a glass.    In other words we paid $48 for $44 worth of alcohol -or if you want to get cynical about $8 worth of alcohol and $40 worth of atmosphere.    So we got less booze AND we had to pour it ourselves..
 
When we alerted the waitress it was as if we asked her to solve Einstein's theory of relativity and her only answer was that a pitcher was 'a bit more than four glasses" oblivious to the nasty fact that there I sat as the anchor of the relay team with a cup which was at about three-quarters full and most of that were huge ice-cubes.

I realize NYC is stupid expensive and I know this unfortunate aspect of it all to well but I don't expect NYC to be a bait-and-switch rip-off.  Charge what you need to charge to make money but don't rip people off for the sake of ripping people off.   

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: