Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Take on the radio

As I am driving the other night I did something that I haven't done in years.....I scanned the FM dial and I felt like jamming a giant icepick into my urethra..
Now it's not just that I think today's popular music is worthless dribble, I find it unlistenable. I understand that not every band can be Led Zeppelin which I realize doesn't in itself mean it's worthless. What does bother me is that on the New York radio dial there are four stations basically only playing pop 40... This is a market which in its heyday had a great classic rock station, the best rock station, a great hip-hop station, fantastic 50's and 60's on 101.1 and even had a decent station devoted to New Wave . I realize that bubblegum pop-music sells more records than the other genres but does that mean that a real music fan can't drive for a half-an-hour and listen to less talent than you find in an average high-school glee club.
Well in 2011 I turned from Z100 to 92.3 to 103.5 to 101.1 and felt like I was stuck in a Mike-and-Mike endless bumper loop.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Cathy said...

103.5 KTU is the best! they play dance remixes of every song, even all the slow songs! i love it!