Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I need a bus

I love going out to eat, love spending time with friends and family and love throwing 'em back over gossip. What I don't like are automatic gratuities, over-priced meals and less than stellar service but I don't think I'm alone in my complaints there.

But I have another TOR rant and that has to do with busboys. I eat faster than anybody at the table and I don't miss a beat between bites. I don't disparage slow-eaters but it does lead to one difficulty for me.
See when I am done eating, I want somebody to take my empty plate. There is nothing I hate more than sitting in front of a bowl of three spaghetti strings and a bunch of tomato sauce juice. I speak with my hands and am notoriously clumsy so it's a matter of when not if I put my elbow into the bowl. I also hate staring out at an empty plate as it just makes me more hungry. So I know some people see it as bad etiquette to bus plates but I see sitting in front of an empty plate as unsophisticated.

But really I see it as protection from an unneeded dry-cleaning bill.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Philip Ryan said...

No no no!!! I also eat very quickly but hate it when they try to clear my plate. All plates should come out to the table at the same time and leave the table at the same time! I usually stop bus boy when they try that shite. And what happens if you want to eat a bit of your wife's food but she's not finished? Then you're more likely to spill on yourself when you lean over to stab a fork in something!!!