Wednesday, July 7, 2010

condition this


As the mercury level hit triple digits yesterday I think we all took a step back and erased any thought of a pleasant summer.     I love the fall and spring weather but this summer stuff is for the dogs.   What makes the NYC summers so unpleasant is the fact that you have nothing but stagnant air which when combined with rotting garbage, sweaty people and the general stench of the homeless makes the entire experience almost completely repugnant.    Add to all of this the fact that with the service cuts on the MTA you are standing on the platform for longer periods of time and the commute home goes from hell to hotter-than-hell.

The only thing I read this morning was that Con-Ed was experiencing peak energy usage which was greater than they have ever have had to before so I think everybody is expecting a serious brown-out here at some point

What I do wonder though is how much of this heat is man-made.. now I'm not talking about green-house gasses per-se but rather how much of the heat is pumped into the streets from air-conditioners.   Have you ever stood outside of an air conditioner; it's like standing in front of a heat-lamp.   Now imagine 10 million people all blasting their AC's out into the streets and I wonder how much hotter the city actually gets by this man created heat

No comments: