Friday, July 2, 2010

Homeless Limbo

Is there anything more repugnant than the smell of the homeless?

I love the homeless…well that's not true

I tolerate the homeless…not really true either

I think the homeless should be institutionalized as homelessness is caused by mental-illness.


Now I know there are some very sane people who fall into poverty but I have always believed that in order to become a NYC homeless person you are suffering from more than just lack of money.    In this country we have safety nets which can be argued are set too low but they are still there which means that no person should ever live on the streets.   Whether it's food-stamps, Medicare, welfare and the Projects not to mention churches, food-kitchens and other charities I don't think a sane person no-matter how hard they have fallen ever becomes a subway-riding homeless person.

Although I am fiscally conservative, I also am a liberal on social-issues and this is one of those times where the liberal in me wins out because it's not a lack of empathy here.   Homeless people aren't sane, when NYC closed tons of mental-hospitals years ago we increased the homeless population.  We moved them from beds with food to park benches and garbage.    For a lot of reasons, including their unsightliness, the homeless should be sent to the spot they belong which is in white overalls with sketchers on in a mental-hospital; they should not be roaming the streets.

You may ask, but TOR how about the individual freedom.  Freedom goes two ways, but your freedom should not impede upon my freedom. If you ask about individual freedom I will respond with how about the freedom to not be shoved in front of a subway train by a guy who is pushing around 10,000 empty cans in a shopping cart

But TOR how about individual rights:   How about my individual right to not have to sit next to a guy who pissed all over-himself and hasn't showered in a month.     

See I'm not only afraid of the homeless, I feel for them and believe they should be taken care of but  I'm also completely disgusted by them.