Monday, July 26, 2010

“and from now on, stop playing with yourself”


I have ranted about this in the past but it completely freaks me out when I'm minding my business standing in line and all of a sudden a guy starts discussing the weather.   I turn around and all of a sudden I realize this guy is talking to himself as if he channeling God like Kent did in Real Genius but actually he's having some benign conversation with somebody half-way across the world through his ear-piece.
 If the end of the earth is coming soon, I honestly hope the first ones struck down by lighting are the ones who walk around with a Bluetooth device tethered to their head.   I'm all for technology but what I can't grasp is what it would take for me to decide to clip a piece to my ear so I won't be bothered by having to lift my arm 10 inches.  
Now  let me be clear, I find that using a Bluetooth is completely acceptable when driving a car or operating heavy machinery but it comes across as  pompous and creepy when sitting at a desk or standing on a line at a bank.  See the beauty of the Bluetooth is that you can act like you are speaking to somebody standing next to you at the same tone and intonation but in practice it sounds like you are talking to a piece of cantaloupe. The perpetrator is almost always a guy who speaks way too loudly, seems self-righteous, is often foreign or a banker-type of both and has conversations which should be kept in private but most important always seem like the guy who couldn't throw a spiral more than 10 yards with his weak can't lift my arm above my shoulder biceps..

No comments: