Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The NEW New York State License Plates

New York State released the new license plates a few weeks ago and the first time I saw one I actually thought that the owner of the car still had one of the yellow plates from the 80's before the one with the Statue of Liberty.   It took for me to see about 50 on the road before I realized I hadn't travelled in time but instead was looking at the new classic plates.  The plates look cool but it sounds like it's just another way for the state to tax its citizens as they will require all cars to have the new plates within about a year.    Of course there is nothing wrong with the license plate I have now as they don't exactly go bad especially considering I've only had it for about 9 months.  The issue is that when it comes to state politics nothing is out of bounds and requiring all residents to pony up $25 for a new license plate so that these Albany politicians can funnel more money to their pet projects seems inevitable.

What my bigger concern is aesthetically.  The new plates are a mustard yellow which look awesome on some cars but on other ones it just looks horrendous.   On a black Mustang this is a great look, on a red Corvette it looks like somebody had bloody diarrhea.     The TOR hippy mobile is white whic won't look terrible but if I had bought a blue car I'd be flipping the heck out.   If the state is going to require that I use this license plate and pay $25 for the right to have one they could at least choose a color which is a bit more neutral.

1 comment:

Sneha said...

kind of close to the PA plates but more orange. i think the plates look good only on vintage cars. good thing i don't have a car right now.