Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Airline scam

I am convinced that the airlines business model is no longer on price of the fare but instead they are now making their money through their hidden fees. It wasn't long ago when there was some prestige to flying on an airplane, but this was well before the endless lines, heightened security and baggage fees. A friend just told me of trying to get onto an earlier flight which he was told wasn't possible because it was sold out BUT if would be willing to cough up another $50 he would be given a seat.

Let me get this straight, there are no seats unless you pay $50 at which point they roll up another seat and click in into the aircraft kind of like the last row of seats in those miniwagons. See it doesn't end there as they now charge you for food aboard flights, attach a fee for checking in a bag, give you a fee for an extra piece of carry-on luggage or a headset. At what point will this nickel-and-diming end?
See last week I had to adjust a ticket for my flight to Korea, although there was no difference in the fare the 'change fee' was a mean $400. This lady basically banged away at her keyboard for 5 minutes and I get banged for four bills. The stupid thing is that at the same time I tried to alter my return leg but was told no other options were open. When I called back 2 days later there magically appeared a new flight with plenty of availability which worked better for my schedule. Delta was more than happy to put me on that flight....with another $400 change fee.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: