Monday, June 21, 2010

Been at this too long to stop now

Day 3 in Korea and I gotta say that these Asian cities are interesting in that they have a different energy than Western Cities do. I can't put my finger on it but it must have something to do with the food. An American meal is often something you do because without food you would die, an Asian meal has more to do with the company you hold. You meals are bonding experiences filled with booze and smokes which is nice although I do feel like I'm constantly competing on an episode of Fear Factor Now that's not to say that eating cow-stomach, calf-tongue, rotting cabbage or Fido can't be considered a delicacy but our American stomachs just aren't made for this. We are totally pampered when it comes to our food, we only want white meat from the chicken, we want our fish filleted, we order our burgers well done and we need our shrimp cooked. Asians don't do any of this, the weirder the item, the bigger the delicacy.

I realize we are a bunch of pansies who use the sell-by date on a carton of milk as the drink-by date but what I never understood is the concept of displaying the meat in the front window like you see in China Town. I'm not sure what's worse, seeing an entire skinned duck staring at you while you are chowing on Donald's brother or knowing It's 100 degrees with 100% humidity and that duck's been hanging out there since 11AM.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Wanna Be A Foodie said...

Ugh! I always filled up on breakfast and ate all the bread and rice I could find for fear of what the next two meals would hold when travelling in Asia. I hope your stomach survives the trip!