Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Take on the baseball hall of fame ballot

Today the Baseball writers announce the 2015 class and it will go down
as one of the better ones in recent history with players like Randy
Johnson, John Smoltz and Pedro Martinez on the ballot. I won't spend
any time debating whether Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds deserves
induction but I did find something surprising when I saw a copy of an
actual ballot this morning. I wasn't particularly surprised by who
was put on or left off, I was surprised that in 2015 these guys are
using a single sheet of paper and asking baseball writers to put a
checkbox next to the players. We had more technologically advanced
methods when I was in the fourth grade with those sheets you had to
mark up with a #2 pencil which were fed through some machine.

Are you telling me that the president of the HOF is sitting around
manually counting these boxes?? What happens a when somebody
accidentally marks off 11 guys. Forget hanging chad's, how do they
handle a pen mark

My five year old has more complicated systems.

1 comment: