Tuesday, February 5, 2013

take on the apology

When I got an apology from some vendor we buy some stuff from on occasion I really scratched my head.   The vendor is responsive, offers a solid product and has reasonable prices which to me is usually a recipe for success especially for an item that you buy only once in a while.   The weird thing is that this week they went from a vendor I pay no mind to, to one that annoys me and the funny thing is that they were the ones that did it to themselves.

See today I get an email into my inbox which has "an apology" in the subject line.   I open it up and it's some long winded email about them having accidentally sent the same email about some great sale twice.   They go on to explain how much they value our business and how nobody likes too much unsolicited email..   the problem was not  the apology that annoyed me, it's the fact that they followed up at all.   I never would have realized that I got that sale-email twice, having just deleted them both without even opening them but when they sent the apology one they drew attention to a situation which could easily have gone away.    I have now wasted my time reading an apology for an offense I hadn't noticed.

it's like people who reply-all to complain that everybody is replying to all.


No comments: