Saturday, October 20, 2012

Take on BK

What I miss about Brooklyn are the beautiful fall weekend days with a thousand people walking the streets. What I don't miss about Brooklyn are the hours per day I spent searching for a parking spot.  What I miss about Brooklyn is the endless food options. What I don't miss are the rats which all those food options attract.   What I miss about Brooklyn is the diversity.  What I don't miss about Brooklyn is the fact the diversity is contained.   What I miss about Brooklyn is the 30 minute commute, what I don't miss about Brooklyn is the subway it takes to make that commute happens.  What I miss about Brooklyn are the like minded professionals who have similar values living as your neighbors,  what I don't miss are the like-minded professionals who have similar values as my neighbors.  What I miss are beards, what I don't miss are fanny packs, what I miss are walks down tree lined blocks, what I don't miss is having to clean my sneakers of dog shit.   What I miss are street fairs, what I don't miss is having an apartment so small it feels like a perpetual street fair.  What I miss are local hangouts, what I don't mind are the locals who leave said hangouts screaming at the top of their lung at 2AM, what i miss are people getting excited about an issue, what i don'y miss are activist.  What i miss are engaged parents, what I don't miss are over-involved parents.  What I miss are the full playgrounds, I don't miss having to wait 20 minutes for my kid to get on a swing
I miss my Russian nanny, don't miss the Russian mob.   Miss the ease of getting into NYC, the bus stop outside my apartment not so much. I miss the convenience of the bodega, don't miss not having a Trader Joes with a big parking lot.  But most of all I miss being able to say I'm from Brooklyn



Sent from my iPhone

No comments: