Sunday, October 21, 2012

Take on baby pink

As I am strolling through a playground in the park yesterday with my
seven week old daughter in her carrier, I come across a couple with
their toddler.

The exchange goes like this

Father "look at that little boy Billy, I remember when you were that small"

Righetti " yeah they grow up fast but SHE's doing really well"

Father. "Yeah they do, how does he sleep"

Righetti "not bad, some nights SHE gives us a 6 or even 7 hour stretch"

Father "interesting, he'll be sleeping the throught the night before
you know it"

Righetti. "Thanks"


This wasn't the only conversation like this I had.

Random mom. "What a cute baby how old is he"

Righetti "She's almost two months"

Mom "oh a girl, I assumed a boy because of the clothes"

Righetti "huh? she's wearing green"

Mom. "Well I didn't notice any signs, you know a bow or clip or something"

Righetti. "She doesn't have hair yet

Mom. "Maybe some pink"

It's not like I dressed her in Tarheel blue, she's wearing an
off-white and green jumper but this god-damned American society is
obsessed with putting their girls in this awful pink which I don't get

First of all it's a terrible color for fair skinned kids. take your
average white kid and it totally washes 'em out.
Secondly, it's a terrible color
Thirdly, why is it so important to identify a newborn as a boy or
girl. Are people afraid that sleep deprived parents are going to
forget what sex their kid is?

I have a rule in my house. You bring me baby girl pink and it's going
right to Salvation Army because I am not partaking in your idiotic
color coordination

No comments: