Sunday, September 30, 2012

Take on small talk

Been having this discussion with my BIL about small talk.  He says all small talk is a complete waste and he'd rather park himself on the couch staring at the wall than engage in mindless conversation about the weather.   He argues that this small talk is exhausting and not all that rewarding and that he searches out deep thought provoking conversation but feels like he misses that at most get-togethers
But I argue that the deep conversations you get lulled into at a dinner party are much more taxing to your soul.    I don't have the energy to get into a discussion about Nietzsche, influence of hip-hop on modern poetry or the differences in microbrews.  I'm a father of two who works too much and sleeps to little, people should be happy I have enough energy to show up and be glad I don't have enough energy to stab them in the throat with an ice-pick.   If you want to have a chance to keep me engaged then talk about my crappy commute, my kids or my fantasy football team which is all I ever think about 




Sent from my iPhone

No comments: