Sunday, September 2, 2012

Take on the suburban recovery room

When I had my first daughter in a city so had an option to get a private room which came on a first come first served basis.  We lucked out with availability and  were allowed to shell out $1200 for the privilege.   I say lucked because i know tons of couples who would have happily spent $600 per night but were shut out because there were just no private rooms left by the time they hot our the labor room   When we were touring hospitals for our second in the burbs the recovery room was the first thing I asked about.  The conversation went like this

Righetti:  so after the delivery where do we go?
Tourguide:  to these rooms 
R:  can we see the normal rooms
T. These are the normal rooms
R:  where is the second bed?
T:  you can sleep on that chair that fold out to a bed?
R: yes but where is the other mother sleep?
T: what do you mean? Your mother in law??
R. NO not her, the other mother coming out of labor
T:  is this a BigLove scenario??
R:  no
T:  each family gets their own room.
R:  and how much are these?
T: what do you mean?
R:  are they like $500 for each night? 
T: I am confused, it's included
R:  so we get our own room and it's huge and I don't have to pay $1200
T: yes
R: and there is nobody sharing our room?
T: no
R: we'll take it

Mrs R:  shouldn't we tour the nursery or the NICU?
R:  nope I already signed us up, check in at 2pm




Sent from my iPhone

No comments: