Thursday, September 13, 2012

Take on the Chinese Amazon supplier

When I went onto Amazon to buy a replacement lens cover for my Nikon
camera, I had two choices: a $20 authentic one from Nikon or a
knock-off for $1. Obviously being that this is a lens cover and not an
actual vital piece I opted for the cheaper option. Shipping was $2 and
delivery would happened in a week they told me

When the package arrived I noticed it came from China. Now I had no
doubt that these pieces of plastic were made in China but what shocked
me was that they were delivered directly from there This isn't some
$699 TV where there might be some margin but apparently some factory
or factory rep in China can make money selling $1 lens-covers .
You have to generate shippers, invoices, tracking logs and you have to
give Amazon a cut. Even if they are buying/making them for $0.05 you
can't make real money selling these as onsie twosies

No comments: