Tuesday, September 6, 2011

taking on facebook cravings

When I caught a friend's Facebook post that said "14 weeks and craving ice-cream" I was surprised but very happy for her.   I didn't realize she'd been trying and didn't know she had a serious guy but was happy for her especially since she embraced it so openly.   I wasn't quite sure how to congratulate her but figure that if she was going to come out on Facebook that in 2011 that was the right medium for this kind of news.  She responded with a weird emoticon wink and I left feeling a bit annoyed after I sent her a well thought out congratulatory message
Two days later a coworker posted "12 weeks and craving chocolate" and all of a sudden i notice this is just some stupid joke cause she already had a couple of kids and I believe is well over 40.  I mentioned this to my wife and she explained that it was some new Facebook thing where you write a crazy cryptic message to confuse your friends for some hidden meaning and says it is done to support breast cancer or something.
I guess I am too old or just don't get it but I don't see the value.   You imply that you are pregnant as some lame show of solidarity for cancer and this is supposed to make you some kind of saint??   This is the kind of typical empty gesture you get out of this generation and proves again how worthless Facebook is

First of all what support do you offer by posting some bizarre joke?   I am sure some woman who is going through chemo feels so much better because you tried to trick your friends and family.  It is like wearing one of those idiotic yellow bands or a ribbon.  There is nothing courageous about it
but even if you are too self-centered to realize that you are trying to support a woman's issue by minimizing another one       I have a friend whose wife has been trying to get pregnant for two years with no success and I am sure she's thrilled to see get Facebook wall cluttered by these self-centered c-words and their clever altruism.

No comments: