Monday, September 5, 2011

Take on the hidden parking prices




Parking in NY is a total pain in the ass as there is hardly any street parking so you are often dependent on the various parking garages which although convenient require a sense of math specific only to them
First of all the prices posted never include taxes which for parking lots are ludicrously high so even when there is a big sign which says $12 you will easily pay $15 as apparent punishment to bringing your hard earned business and dollars to New York City. Now I understand trying to maximize a revenue stream but the fact those costs get buried in the fine print on the pricing sign already feels nasty. But when the garage blatantly ignores its own posted pricing to gauge you during a special event you feel that much more ripped off. This weekend I drive down to Brooklyn Bridge Park and as there is absolutely no street parking within a square mile, I bite the bullet and pull into the only garage. As I step out of my car the attendant informs me it'll be $20 which ensures that a day in a city park will cost $40 after you get a couple of drinks and a hot dog. I understand capitalism and the concept of supply and demand but i think that a city park should have more than 5 token parking spots or at least offer a municipal lot which if nothing else can help finance the park
But even past that issue what really bothered me was the fact the listed prices are drastically different than the one he quoted me

Righetti. It says $11.77 for two hours on your board

Attendant. That is only for weekdays

Righetti. It doesn't say anything about limitations on your sign

Attendant. The sign is wrong there is a board outside which shows the special

Righetti: so you should change it

Attendant: We have an all-day special for $20 on the weekends

Righetti: But it is 3pm, I won't be here all day so I don't need the special

Attendant: it's the only option

Righetti: a special sort of implies a deal, this is a rip-off

Attendant: do you want to park or not?

Righetti: I do but don't agree with this policy. It clearly states that 2 hours is $11.77 nowhere does it say that it is not valid on the weekends, I don't get why it should be more

Attendant: Talk to my boss

Righetti: ok. Can you get him

Attendant; He's not here

Righetti: great thanks



So I lay out $20 to park for a couple of hours and just feel like I have no other option. What is crazy is that this is not in any kind of high traffic spot, there are no office buildings, restaurants or stores so to have rates posted for a normal weekday is idiotic. I am sure they do 80% of their business on the weekend yet the posted rates are apparently there only for the random jerk who goes to deliver buns to the hot-dog stand on a Tuesday.

No comments: