Tuesday, September 20, 2011

take on the adult desitin

With my first half-marathon race on the horizon, I’ve started to run more rigorously over the last few months.   Long gone are the lazy Saturday 4 mile runs having been replaced with regular 7 or 8 mile runs with a ‘recovery’ run the day after.     Although the wind in my hair, the hard pavement under my shoes and the inches off my waist-line are all nice reasons to run, the pounding to my 35 year old bones seems to be affecting me significantly more than in years prior.    After a run my ankles hurt, my feet cramp and my legs ache for days but the worst thing that happened after my 10 miles run this weekend was the reappearance of an old foe.    At the sixth mile I started noticing it, it was creeping up slowly but definitely made it known that it was out there.  By the seventh mile there was some discomfort, by the 8th mile the uncomfortableness had lead to a pain, by the ninth mile I was biting my shirt and by the time I finished about a half a block before I hit my house I was practically in tears.
Running isn’t just bad on your joints, it’s deadly on your skin.     Somehow during 10 miles of running I had developed some of the nastiest ass-chafing this side of a south-beach thong.    I can’t tell you why this happened as I’ve had many chafing battles before but this one seemed to rim around the inner-cheeks of my ass and with sweat dripping down and seeping into the open cuts the pain was unbearable.
I get home and am desperate remembering the  Italian Restaurant incident I rummaged through the cupboards desperate for some relief, fumble with a few bottles of cream but as I walk into the bathroom it hits me.. a blue tube of Desitin stares me right in the face.
I’ll be bringing a tube with me when I run that half marathon in a few weeks..just hope I can sneak off to a private spot for the application process.

No comments: