Monday, July 4, 2011

Taking on gluttony

There is nothing more American than gluttony and there is nothing more gluttonous than an eating competition so in turn there cannot be anything more American than an eating competition. Years ago I would wake up early to get to the ESPN Zone to make sure I had front row seats for the show of debauchery. Granted getting up early meant rolling out of bed at 11AM after I had my own consumption competition the night before when I feasted on hops, wheat and heavyweights. I loved these events especially when during the days of Kobayashi vs Chestnut whose rivalry matched that of only Frazier and Ali or Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. But now it seems like less WorldSeries and more of a barnstorming event with Joey Chestnut playing the roll of the Bambino or the Ultimate Warrior with no real rival.

What we need is a Rocky IV moment to bring back all the pride in our greatest American Pastime with Chestnut taking on Wladimir Klitschko
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: