Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A+ for Effort

A goodfriend just got finished a very technical masters course on human anatomy and when she got her final grade she was pleasantly surprised her hard work had paid off.    She proudly told her friends and family that her hours of hard-work, lack of sleep and tons of coffee had paid off as she received an A+ for her final exam.

When I heard this I was floored….not because I don't think she could not have earned that grade as she is smart and hard working but rather because such a grade even exists.  The last education level I remember where they gave out an A+ was when grading kids for tying their shoes.   Now I've never been to grad-school so maybe the scoring system is different but when I was in college the highest grade you could receive was an A -although to be completely honest I can't claim to have had too many encounters with that letter. 

Is this what happens when people decide to plop down $200,000 for an even higher education?  I guess they get so self-conscious that a regular old A isn't good enough anymore and they need to be rewarded with an even better score.


I wonder if the professor drew a big star on the top and wrote "great job" with a big smiley face too?

No comments: