Wednesday, December 22, 2010

De-Lish

For the last year or so Duane Reade the NYC drug super-store has been stuffing their shelves full of their own brand of foods marketed under their own DR Delish brand.   The Delish brand offers food choice as varied as pistachios, water and fruit drinks and having tried a few of them.    I just read that there are now over 100 products marked under this Delish brand and what got me to thinking is that the logo and name are brilliant although the overall marketing still lacks.  I don't see any signs in the subway for the Delish brands or ads in the Daily News even if it offers New Yorkers the best of both worlds: seemingly healthy food options at below national marketed product prices.   But in the big picture I love the idea of a company going out on a limb and moving outside of their standard comfort zone and offering a generic product but selling it on quality not entirely on price.  I've stood in front of the medicine aisle a thousands times and was pained when I grabbed the name-brand medicine over the drug-store's own generic version.   I know that at the end of the day the ingredients are probably the same but there is a reason that Tinactin pays John Madden all that money..  You have to realize that you are dealing with the average consumer who is too self-conscious to drink a bottle of Shop-Rite water but would probably buy a case of Delish water without thinking of it.  I'm sure there are social-scientists who study trends and shopping habits but I have to think that this has become one of the most impressive campaigns which blurs the line between retailer and food producer.   
 
I have no idea but I don't think CVS or Rite Aid offers a brand specifically for themselves but it behooves them to start.
 
 

No comments: