Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Too Much Information


One of the greatest attributes of the interweb is also its biggest detractor. The place is swarming with opinions, information and research but wading through it all is tedious and distinguishing between credible information and total garbage is time consuming and difficult and sometime near impossible when you cannot verify the source.


So much minutia and advertisement clouts and otherwise great medium but the bigger issues aren't about product information since there are dedicated websites like CNET which you can reasonably assume is mostly clear of bias. The issue is about the more important information like Medical care where TOR finds unbiased option completely missing.

I have done some searches on infant vaccinations since there are people who will link it to autism and for the life of me, I can't find anything I can reasonably trust since every option seems to have another hidden motive. This is where the Internet may give too loud a voice for the fringe groups because everything you read I have to be skeptical about.

What seems to be the only way to help make decisions is from actual people who may have real insight but finding that is near impossible. Websites like YELP or Yahoo! Answers try but I still find the information limited and its sources too difficult to verify.

The Twitter or Facebook status-updates give you some options but it is still limited in large by your circle. The best resource I have found is the ‘free for all’ section on a fantasy football website called FootballGuys but even there you have to wade through a ton of garbage to get to your best information.

But in the bigger picture the internet needs a card catalogue and a real way to pull the resources most important to you together.. I'm sure it's approaching but till Google invents this I'm stuck searching.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: