Wednesday, September 9, 2009

metropolitan diary strikes again


As many of the regular TOR readers know one of my Pet Peeves is the self-serving letters people submit to the Metropolitan Diary, the section in New York Times on Monday's which allows readers to write in quick little anecdotes and observations about living in NYC.  Well my complaints are well documented (here, here and here) but never a dull moment I once again came across some self-serving, back-patting pompous diary entry this week.  

Dear Diary:


I’m on the phone with a representative, 15 minutes after my new credit card arrives.

“I can’t use this card. The expiration date is 9/11.”

“Yes?” he says.

“I live in New York City,” I tell him. “I worked on the pier, counseling families. I won’t use this card if I have to keep saying this date.”

“There’s nothing I can do,” he tells me.

I call an hour later and bypass the representative for a supervisor who gets it and tells me of the numerous calls he’s received.


A week later, my new card arrives, dated 9/12.
That’s better. Jane Seskin
 
Thanks for sharing your story Jane Seskin and for your service to the people of NYC but was it really necessary to point out that you worked as a volunteer counseling people?? First of all I think everybody who reads the NY Times can figure out why somebody might be uncomfortable about the 9/11 date on their credit card.. (plus you do realize that this is September 2011 not September 11th right?) but more importantly the extra 'context' you throw in is self-serving and appalling. Ever hear about doing anonymous charity work?




I really hate people

1 comment:

Philip Ryan said...

Yes, she should have simply said "I got a card with the expirationn date of 9/11. I didn't like it cos I live in NY so I called customer service and got a new card."
A compelling read no doubt