Wednesday, September 16, 2009

why do Salmon swim upstream while Tuna body-surfs?

I was asked by a friend of mine the day why lesbians (one of TOR’s favorite groups of people mind you) always seem to fall into deep relationships so quickly. An acquaintance of mine (a proud card-carrying member of the Society of Tuna) told me that it is very typical for two women to meet and within three months they are living together and have joint custody of a cat. She claims that lesbians move through the cycle of relationship much more quickly than heterosexuals do.


Now there are obviously tons of heterosexual relationships which move along quickly also but in general it seems the getting-to-know you phase lasts much longer.

So it got me to thinking, why does it seem that the road of relationships between two women always feel like they are on the autobahn doing 1000 miles per hour?

Now I can’t claim to know much about the psyche of the female mind, shit I forget to put the toilet seat down 50% of the time but I do have a BS in Psychology so what the hell I’ll give this one my best effort.

What I’ve concluded (based on years of observation and a whole lot of BS), is that the difference between a man and woman getting together vs. two women getting together is that when a dude and chick get together there probably a lot more down-time. Chances for two people to take a step back and do different things with fewer expectations since dudes and chicks are obviously wired differently. See a guy will hang out with his buddies at the bar getting drunk and talking sports while a girl may decide to spend the same time at the Spa with her girlfriends. There is nothing wrong with either one and they can do those things together but most ‘healthy’ heterosexual relationships I’ve observed have very obvious breaks where the dude goes to a strip-club and throws dollars in the air and the chick gets a massage.

But when both parties are chicks, there wind up being very few things that the two can’t do together and I can imagine that it very quickly becomes overwhelming. If one of them goes to a baby-shower the other one would naturally come along, if one of them goes to get her nails done it probably makes sense that the other one would also get hers done too, when one goes to the bathroom to gossip with her girlfriends about her date, the person who comes to the bathroom with her is said date. Now I’m sure that over time, lesbians will find ways to spend some time apart as people’s interests are always going to be different but I think in the initial wooing phase of a relationship there probably isn’t a lot of time to breath. So what most couples go through in three weeks a lesbian couple may go through in one!

I also think that when a guy and a girl date there is less of an expectation to know what the other is thinking but I would guess that if two girls date those expectations rise tremendously.

Now I’m sure I’m generalizing and I’m sure somebody will finally ‘take on Righetti’ but this is what I think and I’m not changing my tune (or tuna)

No comments: