Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I only fly direct!!!




I have a good friend who on her return from Ireland, in order to save a couple of bucks, got on a flight from Dublin to Frankfurt and then from Frankfurt onto New York. I am as frugal as they come and will tell you that at the age of 33 I would rather use an ice-pick to scratch my nuts than fly non-direct to a place which offers direct flight-options. With that said I will get on a 6AM flight which some other people think is ludicrous but you will never see me sitting at the Memphis McDonalds waiting for the connecting flight to St. Louis.

Now maybe I’m jaded or pampered or both but I have done more flying than most of my friends combined and it’s not uncommon for me to fly back and forth to Europe in 3 days, so you know where my head is with this thing. I want to maximize my time on the ground and minimize it at the Hudson News Stand.

But as if a non-direct flight isn’t bad enough when you get a connecting flight which actually takes you completely out of the direction you have to go in; that is where I totally draw-the-line even for others. This poor (or cheap) soul flew 2 hours from East to west to Frankfurt to hang out there for another few hours and then got back onto a plane basically flying back over Dublin to New York City which has to be a 9 hour flight. Poor girl probably saved $45 which I’m sure she spent while waiting for 4 hours in Germany.

Shit if I am on 45th street and am heading to Brooklyn I will walk to the 42nd street station vs. the 47th street one because I don’t want to put any energy in walking away from the direction I’m heading to.

I had a friend who flew to Alaska for a wedding and went from Hartford to Kentucky to Detroit to Fargo and then onto Anchorage. It took him about 40 hours to get there; I think that if you had flown into Seattle you could have rented a car and driver there in less.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

first of all, your friend saved $600 (and used 55,000 miles) by not flying direct. perhaps she would've had the option of flying direct, but she did not book her flight until 2 weeks prior to her departure.
second of all, she did not fly in the opposite direction. she flew to frankfurt on her way to dublin, and to toronto on her way to new york.

Righetti said...

Frankfurt is not on the way to Dublin.. It's past it.

Poor you
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry