Monday, November 5, 2012

Take on a campaigning president

This is a few days late but I cannot believe that Obama was out in
Colorado campaign last week. I understand that the Presidency travels
with the person and that he can fulfill the requirements anywhere but
standing in front of 500 college kids hours after touring the shore
felt cheap

If he had restarted this weekend than i think I would have been ok
with it but to be on the stump before they had even realized the
devastation on Staten Island quite honestly sickened me. I realize
there wasn't a lot Obama was going to personally do for the area but
to be standing in Denver on the stump 12 hours after being knee deep
in water down the shore was a troubling tableau and this isn't even a
criticism based on Sandy but more one of campaigning while holding
office

I criticized GW Bush for doing it in 2004 so I have to be consistent
and knock Obama too but the thought that the POTUS spends more time
campaigning than governing is just sickening. I get that these
elections are exhausting but watching anybody at any level of
government (governors, senators, congressmen, mayors etc) basically
put their job on hold while they campaign just seems ludicrous and
actually I wonder how effective it really is
I always believe that speaking in front of a crowd of people who are
already going to vote for you in Iowa isn't really helping your cause
what helps your cause Romney can do it because he doesn't have a
day-job but having the country put on hold, even symbolically,
especially during a time of crisis is terrible form

And really what better way to convince people to give you four more
years than having them see you suspend active campaigning and
looking presidential

No comments: