Sunday, August 5, 2012

Take on the self checkout machines

There really is nothing less efficient than those self checkout
machines at the supermarket designed to be more efficient. I am a
college educated, computer literate, veteran shopper and to this day,
the chances of being able to check out with a full cart of groceries
without the computer calling for help is about 20%. Between the
scanning and placing and waiting and holding, the entire process takes
easily twice as long as with a professional teller

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is something wrong with you.

TruJen Phtography said...

I'd like to share my view, if you don't mind.

My first job was at a grocery store. Started out counting bottles at the customer service counter. I lived in a small town with a lot of farmers. Every Monday I'd have to count stinky, bug infested cans from some farmer's party the weekend before. It was really gross. I swore when I was older I'd get the chance to have some teenager count my cans.
Just about the time I was bringing my own cans in, the stores started inserting those damn self-serve bottle counters. So unfair.

I also hate those self-scan check outs. Not only because we as the customers are encouraged to scan our groceries, but I try and watch the old people do it and fail miserably.

What happened to good ole' fashioned customer service?!