Thursday, August 16, 2012

Take on the Cemetary

I't feels like I've been to way too many funerals in the last few years, some very big ones, others more intimate but one thing and all of them incredibly sad.   One thing which I always think about when I'm standing in some huge cemetery is that it really bothers me that the onlookers -myself included- are always crowding around to pay our final respects and inadvertently standing right on the closed graves of other people as we watch them lower the coffin of our fallen friend or relative into the ground.    It just feels so disrespectful that there are 50 people standing right on the plot where somebody was laid down for eternal peace and even more awkward when you see somebody leaning against a headstone or using it to hold their purse or jacket.
 
I know that cemeteries have gotten very crowded but really can't we find someway to have a funeral for somebody without standing 6 feet above somebody else?
 

No comments: