Friday, August 17, 2012

take on the AM New York vendors

I've worked in NYC for about 15 years and commuted from a place other than Manhattan for about 12 of those and can proudly say that in those nearly 3000 commuting days, I have read AM New York less than 10 times.  It's not that I'm anti tabloid newspaper (as I read the Daily News fairly regularly and will check out certain sections of the Post to make sure I'm up to date on my fashion trends and celebrity gossip) but have yet to feel like I need to regularly pick up the free one that homeless people hand out as you walk in and out of train and bus stations.   I'm not squeamish generally but anything handed to me by a person whose last shower was probably in the 90's is just not something I do especially since I don't typically wash my hands before I grab an egg-and-cheese from one of the grease trucks around the corner from my office.   I do applaud them from having jobs and quite frankly I'm impressed by it but just haven't come around to reading their rags.   I have though taken note on their selling techniques, this morning for example one dude up at the bus terminal on 175th street sang "AAAAAM  NEWWWW YOOORK" which was a fairly pleasant method, the guy down on 47th-50th street subway stop kept yelling "take this paper so I can go home" and the guy by Port Authority likes to shove it into your gut like you are a running back taking a handoff.  There is a dude near Bryant Park who will tell you that if you don't take his paper he'll beat you with it and there is a dude downtown who sneezes constantly so you hope the paper has an article about curing Hepatitis because by the time you get to that section you will likely have gotten it.
 
 
 
 

No comments: