Friday, August 19, 2011

take on the stacked team

As an immigrant I understand the desire for a person coming to a new land to help bask in its riches.   I realize the American Dream for example, is one that appeals to a great many people and a large number of them are willing to defy laws to try to achieve it.    There are political undertones here which we'll leave to 'smarter people' to fight over

There is another part to this which always bothered me.    When a country's team starts importing stars to compete on an international stage.   There is something downright wrong about a country giving a player citizenship only to have him added to their national team.   I don't like to see the US ping-pong team adding some Chinese guy,  our power lifters any guy named Magnes and I don't like the US soccer team standing guard at the Rio Grande and cherry picking guys who look like they can dribble.   

The issue isn't only an American one as it plays itself out in all places of this world..  Just today when I'm watching the Little League World Series I was miffed when I saw the team out of Saudi Arabia.   Here I am expecting to see a bunch of sheiks, tripping on their robes with a visor attached to their turbans but instead it's a bunch of kids who look like they are from Eden Oklahoma.    I swear to you these are a bunch of the whitest kids you have ever seen.  How the hell they are allowed to represent the 'African and Middle Eastern' region is ridiculous especially if you consider they got here only after the team from Uganda got disqualified for having their visas denied because of inconsistencies in their age groups.    I saw a few pictures of those Ugandan kids and –although they all had beards and deep voices - they were at least genuinely African.     

I have to imagine this Saudi Team is based on some US Airforce base where even a bunch of average white-kids dominate against even the Arabians..  sadly for the Yanks they'll find out the hard way that success isn't measured in just LLWS appearances when at 15 the teams they beat are all driving Escalades, swimming in pools of champagne and wiping their asses with crisp Benjamin's.

No comments: