Friday, April 1, 2011

taking on.....baseball

Opening Day is to many people the unofficial start of spring.   Like the new flowers, the fresh grass and the baby animals being born, it just exudes new life.     The baseball season is a marathon which starts before the calendar turns to April and doesn't end until deep into October and it gives millions of Americans something they have come to depend on..   I grew up literally listening to a radio tucked under my pillow to listen to Yankee broadcasts and to this day will still listen to sports-talk most nights although most days I'll fall asleep before they come out of their first commercial.    But as a kid I'd root so hard for a victory for my beloved team that I'd have a hard time falling asleep when the game was over because my heart was still pounding.

Something happened though; somewhere down the line I just lost the love of being a big time sports-fan.   Now I haven't decide to start playing for the other team but just can't get wrapped up into sports –other than football- the way I used to.   Maybe it's the monotony, maybe it's the money and the free agency and maybe it's my own cynicism but at some point I just decided that I didn't want to spend my nights getting angry about something I had no control over.    

I still love the NFL, love special events like the Masters or the NCAA tournament even if means listening to that blowhard Jim Nance, still catch about a dozen or so Knick games on TV a year and still appreciate a baseball game..   I just can't get that emotionally involved anymore.    I've had a hard time coming to grips with it as I will always identify myself as a sports-fan but I can't honestly say that expect for a football game, I have let my blood boil because of a sporting event I'm not personally involved in.

No comments: