Wednesday, April 13, 2011

take on the Space Shuttle

With the Intrepid Museum getting a space-shuttle today, I thought it was appropriate to bring to light  and old Righetti-ism.     Back in 2003 about five years after I left college, I  got an email from some guy who was trying to get some information about everybody who worked in this research group working on workplace psychology I helped run during the spring of my senior year.  They were about to publish the work and I guess they wanted to put a bit of information together on the people that worked on the project.   As a pathological liar and constant prankster, I decided to submit the following.

 

Joseph,

   Thank you for your kind words and for this follow-up study on the Dr. Aiello Social Organizational psychology group which I participated in from the Fall 1993 to Spring 1994.  Since leaving Rutgers, I've continued as a research engineer having spent most of my time in the Aerospace Industry.  I've spent about half my time in Cape Canaveral Florida working on increasing the wear resistance and heat dissipation of the heat sensitive 3rd rocket booster, we are developing a Chemical Vapor Deposit (CVD) process to coat the 3rd rocket booster heat tiles, as you know diamond is one of the greatest heat dissipaters and the CVD coating has tested to be a great asset in decreasing the heat damage which occurs in the first 14 seconds of launch as well as used for coatings on the heat tiles when we re-enter back into the atmosphere.  I have also worked on several space launches from January 1999 to August of 2001 as an assistant technical modular engineer.  In August of 2001, I was part of a team commissioned as the chief Aerospace Research Engineer to find a new launch-space for future NASA missions.  Ground broke four and a half months ago on the North East Cape Canaveral tentatively named NECC just outside a city called Delmar, about 15 miles south west of Albany. Our project team has been working on the CVD heat tile experiment at the North East Station has been dubbed Protect Your NECC.

 The main focus of the re-launch of the NASA space program in Upstate New York is to avoid the excess humidity in Florida which has put major strain on heat tiles upon re-entry of the Space Shuttle and the frequent cloud cover in Florida gave us only 29 possible launch dates annually. It was decided that New York State, based on excellent year-round visibility and excellent weather for launches 8 months per year along with the opportunity to give up-state New York a much needed shot-in-the-arm financially was an ideal new location for the NECC.

Anyway my work with Dr. Aiello's group was invaluable in my position of leading a group of fellow Rocket Scientists or our research mission for continued safety in future launches and missions.

Please feel free to contact me with any more questions on my hotmail account or at home

My memories of the group are all very positive; I've kept in touch with a few of members of my research team.  I was always felt a great camaraderie amongst our group and I know our research made early strides on the research, Dr. Aiello was hoping to have published.  Can you give me an update on his work, as I've always been interested in following up on the tremendous work he had before him.  I was honored to be an important (though small) part to his work and hope we all get a by-line when his research is published.

 

Sincerely

TakeOnRighetti

June 3rd 2003

No comments: