Sunday, April 24, 2011

Take on the death of Facebook

I know TOR has not been the biggest supporter of the Facebook product. For us it's not that we don't 'get' it but more that at some point the avalanche of information is overkill. When Facebook was new and fun, people were happy to reconnect with old friends and classmates but it didn't take long for everybody to realize that there are reasons we didn't stay in touch with 90% of those people.
My sister-in-law quoted me a bunch of statistics which prove social-networking is more popular than ever and I'm sure the numbers bear that out in terms of people connected but when I logged onto Facebook the other day and looked over the Status-Feed it was littered by Spam from 1 or 2 posters and virtually empty from everybody else. Think about how often you post anything to your status update anymore or to a wall, I bet it's dramatically less than 6 months ago.

Well my theory is that nobody actively does it anymore. People realize that they don't care what others are thinking or doing and now realize this applies for themselves as well.

Most people I know still love Facebook but the novelty has worn off, the constant connection and diarrhea of updates has worn us down. The end of the all-connection, over stimulated, all encompassing social network is done.. I guess Facebook will remain but just like you used to get tons of those stupid email forwards it's gonna continue mostly for your mother or your crazy aunt.

The kids will find a new medium and I for one am happy about it.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: