Wednesday, April 27, 2011

taking on Friendster

I read an article in today's paper about Friendster's parent company going to delete archives of old pictures, posts and other objects stored on their servers.   The Malaysian based company was planning on wiping out huge files of history which prompted a bunch of internet archivists to try to preserve the public record.
My first thought was how far has Friendster fallen that it's now owned by some Malaysian company after having been publicly courted by Google a few years ago..  Maybe in Malaysia owning a bit of internet lure has the kind of appeal like my buddy Zed owning a pair of Lita Ford's panties.

The second thought I had was that maybe I should log back into the old Raggarific account to see if there was anything I'd want to save and then it hit me.   This is probably all a big scheme for the owners of Friendster to create some buzz around their site, memory and storage is cheap especially if they already own the servers so there is no reason to think that they'd jeopardize the little chance they have of existence if they did not at some point believe they could make this work again.   They probably have added a couple of lame features and want to show their 115 million registered (but mostly inactive) users.   I'm sure I'd log on and see a couple of chats I had with curveless Asian chicks back in 2002 and glance over a couple of pictures of a very curvy Righetti and there'd be a bit of nostalgia.   Maybe it would allow me to reconnect with somebody -although that's rare since Facebook would have allowed that for that already- or maybe I'd read a funny post that somebody wrote about some episode of SNL from February of 2002 and stick around to check our their new insta-chat which uses energy detection to show a cartoon version of the other person.
Then again I'll probably forget and all those drunken pictures from random asian parties will end up where they belong.

No comments: