Friday, November 12, 2010

utility-belt

See having both an IPhone and a Blackberry is the best of both worlds....sort of. You use the BB for work, emails and TOR entries and keep the IPhone for the fun stuff like surfing the web, pictures, videos and AngryBirds. The issue with this though is that not is it costing double for two plans even if you can convince work to pay for one of them, but you are walking around with the equivalent of utility belt to keep all your gadgets together. It's like I'm the urban professional version of Batman.
Like I've said so often, the guys who live in the rest of the country have it good because they can use their car as a storage bin but if you commute by subway you need to have everything you'll need for the day to be on your person.
This means having your wallet, keys, iphone, blackberry, newspaper and walkman all shoved into your pockets. So I'm committed in trying to eliminate things. The AM/FM walkman and iphone kind of overlap, even if it means I won't be able to get local sports-talk and the newspaper can be eliminated with an app as well even if it means not being able to feel the paper.
I haven't quite figured out how the IPhone can replicate my house keys but there has to be some developer writing an app that can unlock your door like they do your car-door in those on-star commercials.
The entire wallet thing should completely be moved from physical cards to virtual ones. Why couldn't you have your drivers license information on your phone. This actually could help an officer because it would indicate immediately if your license is suspended since the app would be linked into the DMV. Registration and insurance cards could be done the same way as would your health insurance card.
Even the credit card thing should be done virtually, see you change the back-swipe thing to a bar code and let merchants use that bar-code gun to 'swipe' your card..
So the only thing the Iphone can't do is type. I will say it's a bit easier than I thought it might be but it is nowhere near as easy as the BlackBerry. So after a month of having two phones, it's time to sink or swim. I will put myself on a hard IPhone diet where I'll stop using the Blackberry so I can force myself to get adequate at the virtual keyboard. I'm committed to the diet but I can't do it today so I will start..... tomorrow.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: