Wednesday, October 6, 2010

you're on in a million babe, you're a shooting star

I'm not a racist and am not anti any people whose primary language isn't English but I do think that English should be the primary language we use in schools.   This is America and we speak American and our kids should be given exposure to it more often, we need more reading, more writing and more speaking in our schoolls.    Now I can't argue that our schools are doing such a great job teaching the fundamentals of language arts in the first place (see www.TakeOnRighetti.blogspot.com) as our children seem to less versed in the nuance of our own language than many foreigners are.   
 
Now i'm not saying that we shouldn't teach a second language in schools, quite the contrary.  In Europe kids learn 4 or 5 languages in addition to their native-tongue, there is no reason I kids can't do that.   But my thought is that they teach MORE English in schools, not less, get kids back to reading and writing book-reports and less focused on learning how to use a PC or learning how to play a recorder..  My generation never had classes in computer science when I was in school and we are all incredibly well versed when it comes to the normal computer stuff (excel, word, the Internet etc).   I don't think you have to try to teach kids about computers, their own curiosity will carry them through a bunch of it.
 
Well now that I'm perched high-upon this soap-box and have gotten your attention here is part B.
 
I'm sick and tired of having to choose between languages when I'm on hold with some endless computerized voice-mail system.    I can't believe that in America we have to PRESS 1 for English.   This should be standard.   Yeah it's a small complaint but it annoys me.   Now I don't mind having options for other speakers but I want less minutia when i'm on hold.    So I suggest instead of having the option to press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish, Press 3 for Korean etc. we move to a different system.
 
I see something like this
 
For English, the official language of your country, please hold on to the line, for any other language please press 2 you will be charged double
 
Let English be the default, you better believe that when you call Russia that they don't give you an option.

No comments: