Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tin-Foil hat

One of the biggest issues I have is that I can never figure out why certain subway lines offer at least scant cell-phone service while other ones have you blacked out from West 4th to the GWB.
For years there has been talk of companies coming in to hardwire the 1000's of miles of train tracks but none of that has ever shown up on the reception meters on any cell-phone.   I can't find any new time-liens but the last things I found showed a few articles from a few years ago that said it was to be a 6 year project.  I don't see in terms of them starting said 6 year project.   The wiring was to be done by the cell-phone companies who would also give the MTA a bunch of money for the right to do so.  I never quite understood how those relationships worked but somehow the people operating the trains get a whole bunch of money for giving their customers a better experience.
Now I'm not sure when this entire subway wiring thing will be complete –and I have a bunch of Friends on the AT&T network who can't even get service while inside of a Subway restaurant- but I am excited about it.    Today there is not supposed to be any service but strangely though there are a few odd lines with some service including a few lines which seem to be close to street level and small parts of a few station on some other trains..   In general if you are on a numbered train there is a chance you get some reception at some point while the lettered trains basically put you back to 1999.     
 I've been trying to figure out why you can sometimes make a call on the 2 train but never on the B train and what I've come up with (past the part that the numbered lines seem to run closer to the street)  is that  those numbered trains are also a bunch thinner and are usually the newer trains.  So maybe the tin they use to build those cars are giant cell-phone receptors

But past the obvious tin-foil conspiracy theories there are other oddities within a gigantic system though some approach levels Ripley's proportions.   Take the Atlantic Avenue-Pacific street station which is two long flights under-ground but for some crazy reason you can often get and receive a text-messages or short email all the while one stop away Union Street -which is only 1 set of stairs down- is a dark as night.
I can't seem to figure it out but I'm counting the days till the 6 year clock begins.

No comments: